White Loaf Bread
- Prep Time:
- 30 min
- Cook Time:
- 45 min
- Total Time:
- 3 hr
- 24 servings
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (105 to 115°F)
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons All-Vegetable Shortening
- 5 1/2 to 6 cups White Lily® Enriched Unbleached Bread Flour, divided
- No-Stick Cooking Spray
- DISSOLVE yeast in warm water in large bowl. Combine milk, sugar, salt and shortening. Heat to 115°F. Stir into yeast mixture. Beat in 2 1/2 cups flour. Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough fairly stiff.
- PLACE on lightly floured surface. Knead 10 minutes, slowly adding flour, as needed, to prevent sticking. Coat large bowl with no-stick cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, to coat surface. Cover. Let rise in warm place 1 hour or until double in size.
- PUNCH down dough. Place on lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a ball. Cover. Let rest 10 minutes.
- COAT two 8 x 4 x 2-inch loaf pans with no-stick cooking spray. Flatten dough to remove air bubbles. Roll into two 14 x 8-inch rectangles. Roll up tightly from short side. Seal seam and ends, tucking under ends. Place in prepared pans. Let rise in warm place 45 to 60 minutes or until sides of loaf are even with top of pan.
- HEAT oven to 375°F. Bake bread 45 minutes. Cover with foil for the last 15 minutes to prevent top from overbrowning. Remove from pans. Cool on wire racks.
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of loaf), Calories 120 (Calories from Fat 15), Total Fat 1.5g (Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 200mg, Total Carbohydrate 24g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 2g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
For a thinner, crisper pizza crust, use White Lily® All-Purpose Flour. For a thicker, chewier crust, use White Lily Bread Flour.
Wrap extra muffins in foil, and freeze for later use. To reheat, remove foil, wrap in a paper towel, and microwave one at a time for 3-10 seconds or until thawed.