White Lily® Southern Cornbread
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 25 min
- Total Time:
- 40 min
- 8 servings
- 1 teaspoon All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk or 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Spoon shortening into 8-inch ovenproof skillet or 8-inch round or square baking pan. Place in oven to heat for about 5 minutes.
- WHISK egg in medium bowl. Stir in cornmeal mix, sugar, buttermilk and oil just until moistened (batter will be lumpy). Carefully tilt skillet to coat bottom with shortening. Pour batter into skillet.
- BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of recipe), Calories 210 (Calories from Fat 80), Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat g), Cholesterol 30mg, Sodium 440mg, Total Carbohydrate 29g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 2g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C %, Calcium 15%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
For moist Southern cornbread with a golden-brown crust, use good cornmeal and create a creamy, pourable, pancake-like batter. Bake in preheated cast-iron cookware.
For a crisp crust on basic cornbread or corn sticks, preheat a greased skillet or corn stick pan before filling with batter.