White Lily® Hush Puppies
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 2 min
- Total Time:
- 40 min
- 10 servings
- Pure Peanut Oil
- 1 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, or to taste
- POUR about 3 inches oil into deep fryer or very deep saucepan. Heat oil to 375°F.
- COMBINE cornmeal mix, milk, egg, onion and onion powder in medium bowl. Stir until well blended. Drop a few at a time by rounded teaspoonfuls into hot oil.
- FRY 2 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm.
Serving Size (1/10 of recipe), Calories 210 (Calories from Fat 130), Total Fat 14g (Saturated Fat g, Trans Fat g), Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 260mg, Total Carbohydrate 17g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 1g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A %, Vitamin C %, Calcium 8%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
For individual-sized shortcakes, cut using a 3-inch biscuit cutter. For a traditional-sized shortcake, pat dough into an 8- or 9-inch cake pan.
Roll pastry dough outward from the center and from the center inward with a floured rolling pin. Rotate and repeat until it's 2 inches wider than your pie plate.