White Lily® Homemade White Cake
- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- Cook Time:
- 25 min
- Total Time:
- 2 hr
- 12 to 16 servings
- No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Coat 2 (8- or 9-inch) round cake pans with no-stick cooking spray. For best results, line with parchment paper. If not using parchment paper, dust pans with flour to coat. Stir flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl until blended.
- BEAT shortening in large bowl with mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy. Add sugar and vanilla; beat 1 minute. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds after each addition. Gradually add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating on low speed after each addition, just until combined. Spread evenly in prepared pans.
- BAKE 27 to 32 minutes for 8-inch cake, 25 to 30 minutes for 9-inch cake, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pans to wire rack to cool completely. Frost as desired.
Serving Size (1 slice of 12), Calories 300 (Calories from Fat 100), Total Fat 11g (Saturated Fat 3g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 65mg, Sodium 200mg, Total Carbohydrate 47g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 31g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.