Touch of Grace Biscuits
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 20 min
- Total Time:
- 30 min
- 10 biscuits
- No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 cup cold heavy cream
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- HEAT oven to 450°F. Coat small (6 to 8-inch) round cake pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE self-rising flour, sugar and salt in medium bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is the size of peas. Stir in cream, then buttermilk (dough should look like cottage cheese).
- POUR all-purpose flour onto plate. With medium ice cream scoop or spoon, scoop biscuit-size lump of wet dough into the flour; sprinkle some flour over it to coat outside.
- PICK up dough with well-floured hands. Form into round shape while shaking off excess flour. Place in prepared pan. Repeat with rest of dough, pressing each biscuit against the other so they rise up and not spread.
- BAKE in center of oven 20-22 minutes or until lightly browned.
- BRUSH biscuits with melted butter. Cool 2 minutes in pan. Serve hot.
Serving Size (1 biscuit), Calories 250 (Calories from Fat 140), Total Fat 16g (Saturated Fat 9g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 35mg, Sodium 340mg, Total Carbohydrate 25g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 3g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 6%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Roll biscuit dough to about 1/2-inch thickness to ensure good height. Cut biscuits with a sharp-edged cutter, straight down, without twisting the cutter.
When making biscuits, make a well in the center of the flour mixture and use a fork to gently blend in the milk or buttermilk, being careful not to over-mix.