Sweet Potato Cornbread
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 40 min
- Total Time:
- 50 min
- 8 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 cup baked, peeled and mashed sweet potato, or 1 cup mashed canned sweet potato
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- HEAT oven to 375ºF. Coat generously 10 1/2-inch cast iron skillet with no-stick cooking spray. Place in oven to heat about 10 minutes.
- BLEND together sweet potatoes, eggs, brown sugar, buttermilk and oil in large bowl until smooth. Stir in cornmeal mix and pumpkin pie spice until well blended. Pour into hot skillet.
- BAKE 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of recipe), Calories 290 (Calories from Fat 90), Total Fat 11g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 670mg, Total Carbohydrate 43g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 9g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 100%, Vitamin C 10%, Calcium 8%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
If batter does not fill every cup of the muffin pan, put a few tablespoons of water in the empty cup to keep muffins moist and to protect the pan from warping.
For easier slicing and rich flavor, wrap cooled quick breads in aluminum foil and store overnight before serving.