Sweet Potato Corn Meal Biscuits
- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 20 min
- Total Time:
- 45 min
- 12 servings
- No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Martha White® All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1/2 cup Martha White® Self-Rising Enriched White Corn Meal Mix
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup All-Vegetable Shortening, well chilled
- 2/3 cup mashed canned sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- HEAT oven to 400°F. Coat baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE flour, corn meal mix, baking powder and cinnamon in large bowl; mix well. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add sweet potatoes, milk and honey, stirring just until moistened.
- TURN dough out onto heavily floured work surface. Knead lightly 5 times to bring dough together. Pat into a, 8 x 6-inch rectangle. Trim edges, if desired. Cut into 12 (2-inch) squares using a dough scraper or chef”s knife. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- BAKE 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet to wire rack to cool. Brush tops with butter. Serve warm.
- Glazed Sweet Potato Breakfast Biscuits
- WHISK 3/4 cup powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon milk in small bowl until smooth. Drizzle over warm biscuits. Sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons chopped pecans.
Serving Size (1 of 12 biscuits), Calories 190 (Calories from Fat 60), Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat g, Trans Fat g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 210mg, Total Carbohydrate 29g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 6g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 6%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
When making pizza crusts, use 2 to 2-1/2 cups of bread flour (hard wheat) or 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 cups of all-purpose flour (soft wheat).
For a thinner, crisper pizza crust, use White Lily® All-Purpose Flour. For a thicker, chewier crust, use White Lily Bread Flour.