Sweet Potato Corn Meal Biscuits
- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 20 min
- Total Time:
- 45 min
- 12 servings
- No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour
OR 2 cups Martha White® All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
OR 1/2 cup Martha White® Self-Rising Enriched White Corn Meal Mix
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup All-Vegetable Shortening, well chilled
- 2/3 cup mashed canned sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- HEAT oven to 400°F. Coat baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE flour, corn meal mix, baking powder and cinnamon in large bowl; mix well. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add sweet potatoes, milk and honey, stirring just until moistened.
- TURN dough out onto heavily floured work surface. Knead lightly 5 times to bring dough together. Pat into a, 8 x 6-inch rectangle. Trim edges, if desired. Cut into 12 (2-inch) squares using a dough scraper or chef's knife. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- BAKE 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet to wire rack to cool. Brush tops with butter. Serve warm.
Glazed Sweet Potato Breakfast Biscuits
- WHISK 3/4 cup powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon milk in small bowl until smooth. Drizzle over warm biscuits. Sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons chopped pecans.
Serving Size (1 of 12 biscuits), Calories 190 (Calories from Fat 60), Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 210mg, Total Carbohydrate 29g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 6g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 6%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Bread is done when the loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped. At that time, remove from the pan immediately and let cool.
The warmth of the liquid used in bread recipes is very important. If too hot, the yeast can be destroyed and the dough will not rise.