Sweet Blueberry Drop Biscuits
- Prep Time:
- 8 min
- Cook Time:
- 10 min
- Total Time:
- 20 min
- 12 biscuits
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening, chilled
- 2/3 to 3/4 cups milk or buttermilk, plus additional as needed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, if frozen, do not thaw
- HEAT oven to 500º F. Spray baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE flour and sugar into bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender until crumbs are the size of peas. Blend in just enough milk with a fork until dough leaves sides of bowl. If needed, add more milk to form soft dough. Gently stir in blueberries.
- DROP dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet 1 to 2 inches apart. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- COOL 2 minutes. Split and serve warm with butter.
Serving Size (1 biscuit of 12), Calories 140 (Calories from Fat 40), Total Fat 4.5g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 250mg, Total Carbohydrate 23g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 8g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 6%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
When making biscuits, pack vegetable shortening into a measuring cup so there are no air pockets. Cut it into the flour with a pastry blender, 2 knives, or a fork.
Roll biscuit dough to about 1/2-inch thickness to ensure good height. Cut biscuits with a sharp-edged cutter, straight down, without twisting the cutter.