Strawberry Shortcake Biscuit
- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 20 min
- Total Time:
- 35 min
- 12 shortcakes
- 2 cups White Lily Self-Rising flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 7 tablespoons butter: 6 tablespoons room temperature cut into cubes, 1 tablespoon melted
- ½ to ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Mint for garnishing
- 2 pints of Strawberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup sugar
Whipped Cream – see recipe below or use your favorite store-bought brand
- 1-pint heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Store in the refrigerator until it?s time to serve! (Note: If you are short on time, you can always use your favorite store-bought whipped cream!)
- Add the vanilla and sugar, whip until soft peaks form.
- Pour heavy whipping cream into cold bowl. Whip the cream for 2 to 3 minutes, starting at low speed and increasing to high speed, until cream begins to thicken.
- Chill the beaters of your mixer and bowl in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Mix flour and sugar in a large bowl. Incorporate the cubed butter into the flour, using your fingers to “cut in” the butter until the mixture resembles cottage cheese. It will be chunky with some loose flour.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Pour milk and vanilla into the well. Using your hands or a small rubber spatula mix until the dough is wet and messy. Sprinkle top of dough with flour.
- Flour work surface very well. Dump the dough from the bowl onto the floured work surface, you can use a rubber spatula for assistance. Once the dough is on the work surface, flour the top of the dough and the rolling pin.
- Roll out the dough to ½ inch thick into an oval shape (no kneading is necessary – the less you work with the dough the better)!
- Flour a 3-inch round biscuit cutter. Using the floured cutter push straight through the dough with the cutter. Place cut out biscuit on an ungreased baking sheet with the sides touching. Repeat step 6 until all biscuits have been cut. Brush the biscuit tops with melted butter and sprinkle with turbinado sugar
- Bake 16 – 18 minutes, rotating the pan once while baking, until golden brown.
- Slice the shortcakes or biscuits in half, layer macerated strawberries and whipped cream on the bottom half of biscuit. Put the tops on the shortcakes (sandwich-style), drizzle juice from the macerated strawberries on top. Top with whipped cream and garnish with mint for an extra special touch.
- Macerated Strawberries
- Slice strawberries into a bowl.
- Sprinkle vanilla extract and sugar over the fruit.
- Mix the berries with the sugar and vanilla.
- Cover the bowl and let sit in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours.
Calories (Calories from Fat ), Total Fat g (Saturated Fat g, Trans Fat g), Cholesterol mg, Sodium mg, Total Carbohydrate g (Dietary Fiber g, Sugars g), Protein g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A %, Vitamin C %, Calcium %, Iron %.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
When making pizza crusts, use 2 to 2-1/2 cups of bread flour (hard wheat) or 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 cups of all-purpose flour (soft wheat).
For a thinner, crisper pizza crust, use White Lily® All-Purpose Flour. For a thicker, chewier crust, use White Lily Bread Flour.