Spiced Gingerbread Cake
- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 55 min
- Total Time:
- 70 min
- 10 servings
This stunning Bundt® is everything you could want in a classic holiday gingerbread cake: dark, sticky, and perfectly balanced between spicy and sweet. The key ingredients are a cupful of dark coffee and a spoonful of freshly ground black pepper. The combo might sound unconventional-but together they lend the cake tremendous depth of flavor and an unexpected, subtle kick.
- Nonstick baking spray
- 1 cup strong coffee, cooled
- 1 cup robust molasses
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups White Lily All-Purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease a large Bundt® pan generously with baking spray, making sure to get in all the crevices. Set aside.
- Combine a small saucepan, coffee and molasses. Bring to a simmer, stirring until the molasses dissolves. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the baking soda. (Take care, it will bubble up a bit.) Let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the White Lily All-Purpose flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, pepper, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, and salt.
- Whisk, in a medium bowl, eggs, vanilla, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until smooth. Then whisk in the oil and reserved coffee mixture.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined. (Do not over mix.)
- Scrape batter into the prepared pan and smooth into an even layer. Bake until a skewer or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 50 to 55 minutes.
- Let the cake cool inside the pan for 10 minutes, then carefully invert it onto a baking rack, release the pan, and let the cake cool completely. Before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar.
Calories (Calories from Fat ), Total Fat g (Saturated Fat g, Trans Fat g), Cholesterol mg, Sodium mg, Total Carbohydrate g (Dietary Fiber g, Sugars g), Protein g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A %, Vitamin C %, Calcium %, Iron %.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Do not beat cornbread batter until smooth. Over-mixing will result in cornbread that is peaked on top with a tough, heavy texture.
To prevent cookies from browning too quickly on the bottom, place an empty baking sheet in the oven under the sheet with cookies.