Southern Buttermilk Cornbread
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 25 min
- Total Time:
- 35 min
- 8 servings
- No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising Buttermilk White Cornmeal Mix
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 cup All-Vegetable Shortening, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Spray 8- or 10-inch heavy skillet or 8-inch square pan with no-stick cooking spray. Place skillet in oven to preheat.
- COMBINE cornmeal mix, buttermilk, oil, egg and sugar, if desired. Mix well. Pour into skillet or pan.
- BAKE 20 to 25 minutes for 10-inch skillet or 25 to 30 minutes for 8-inch skillet or pan. Remove from pan and serve.
MUFFINS OR CORN STICKS
- MUFFINS: HEAT oven to 425°F. Spray 12 muffin cups with no-stick cooking spray. Fill cups 2/3 full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.
- CORN STICKS: HEAT oven to 425°F. Spray corn stick pan with no-stick cooking spray. Place in oven to heat. Fill pans 2/3 full. Bake 12 to 15 minutes.
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of cornbread), Calories 250 (Calories from Fat 90), Total Fat 10g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat g), Cholesterol 30mg, Sodium 670mg, Total Carbohydrate 34g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 3g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 8%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
The secret to great Southern cornbread is a well-seasoned cast-iron pan with a smooth, nonstick finish.
For a crisp crust on basic cornbread or corn sticks, preheat a greased skillet or corn stick pan before filling with batter.