Soft Italian Breadsticks
- Prep Time:
- 30 min
- Cook Time:
- 15 min
- Total Time:
- 2 hr 0 min
- 36 servings
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (105 to 115°F)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Unbleached Bread Flour
- Butter Flavor No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- DISSOLVE yeast in warm water in large bowl. Add sugar, salt, oil, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and 1 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- TURN onto lightly floured surface; knead 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth.
- COAT baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray. Divide dough into fourths. Shape each into a ball. Cut each ball into 9 pieces. Roll each piece into pencil thin 8-inch rope. Place 1-inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Spray sticks lightly with no-stick cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes (dough will not double in size).
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Combine egg white and 1 tablespoon water in small bowl. Brush over each stick; sprinkle with poppy seeds, sesame seeds or salt, as desired.
- BAKE 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
Serving Size (1 bread stick of 36), Calories 50 (Calories from Fat 15), Total Fat 2g (Saturated Fat g, Trans Fat g), Cholesterol mg, Sodium 85mg, Total Carbohydrate 7g (Dietary Fiber g, Sugars g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A %, Vitamin C %, Calcium 2%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
When making pizza crusts, use 2 to 2-1/2 cups of bread flour (hard wheat) or 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 cups of all-purpose flour (soft wheat).
For a thinner, crisper pizza crust, use White Lily® All-Purpose Flour. For a thicker, chewier crust, use White Lily Bread Flour.