Homemade Wheat Bread
- Prep Time:
- 25 min
- Cook Time:
- 35 min
- Total Time:
- 4 hr
- 1 (16-slice) loaf
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (100 to 110°F)
- 1 (1/4 oz.) packet active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 3/4 to 4 1/2 cups White Lily® All Purpose Wheat Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- PLACE warm water in large bowl. Stir in yeast. Let stand 5 minutes to dissolve yeast. Add honey and butter. Blend in 2 cups flour and salt with mixer on low speed until moistened. Beat on medium speed 3 minutes.
- STIR in an additional 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 cups flour, until dough pulls away cleanly from sides of bowl. Knead on floured surface, adding 1/2 to 3/4 cup additional flour, until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place dough in large greased bowl. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place until doubled in size, 30 to 45 minutes.
- PUNCH down dough to remove air bubbles. Shape into loaf. Place in greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Cover loosely with greased plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place until doubled in size, 30 to 45 minutes.
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Uncover dough. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/16 of recipe), Calories 150 (Calories from Fat 25), Total Fat 2.5g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 240mg, Total Carbohydrate 28g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 5g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Wrap extra muffins in foil, and freeze for later use. To reheat, remove foil, wrap in a paper towel, and microwave one at a time for 3-10 seconds or until thawed.
When kneading yeast dough, coat your hands and rolling pin with flour or cooking spray. Add just enough flour to keep dough from sticking.