Sally Lunn Bread
- Prep Time:
- 30 min
- Cook Time:
- 30 min
- Total Time:
- 2 hr 30 min
- 24 slices
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105° to 115°F)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
OR 2 tablespoons Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 3/4 cups White Lily® Enriched Unbleached Bread Flour
- 1 cup warm milk (105 to 115°F)
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- STIR together yeast and warm water until dissolved.
- BEAT sugar and shortening in large bowl with electric mixer until blended. Beat in eggs and salt. Stir in 1 1/2 cups flour; beat 3 minutes on high speed. Stir in milk and softened yeast, mixing well. Add remaining flour; beat 1 minute on high speed. Cover bowl. Let dough rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- COAT a 10-inch fluted tube pan with no-stick cooking spray. Stir down batter and spoon evenly into prepared pan. Cover and let rise again until double in size, 30 to 45 minutes.
- HEAT oven to 325°F. Bake 10 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 375°F. Bake an additional 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan to cooling rack. Serve warm or cool.
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of loaf), Calories 100 (Calories from Fat 15), Total Fat 1.5g (Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 110mg, Total Carbohydrate 19g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 5g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
To use your stand mixer's dough hook, first mix dough ingredients using a flat paddle or regular beaters. Then knead with dough hook on medium speed for 3-5 minutes.
When making biscuits, make a well in the center of the flour mixture and use a fork to gently blend in the milk or buttermilk, being careful not to over-mix.