Sweet Potato Corn Meal Biscuits
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 45 min
- 12 servings
- No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour
OR 2 cups Martha White® All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
OR 1/2 cup Martha White® Self-Rising Enriched White Corn Meal Mix
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup All-Vegetable Shortening, well chilled
- 2/3 cup mashed canned sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- HEAT oven to 400°F. Coat baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE flour, corn meal mix, baking powder and cinnamon in large bowl; mix well. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add sweet potatoes, milk and honey, stirring just until moistened.
- TURN dough out onto heavily floured work surface. Knead lightly 5 times to bring dough together. Pat into a, 8 x 6-inch rectangle. Trim edges, if desired. Cut into 12 (2-inch) squares using a dough scraper or chef's knife. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- BAKE 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet to wire rack to cool. Brush tops with butter. Serve warm.
Glazed Sweet Potato Breakfast Biscuits
- WHISK 3/4 cup powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon milk in small bowl until smooth. Drizzle over warm biscuits. Sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons chopped pecans.