Baked Eggs with Cheddar Biscuits
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 20 min
- 4 biscuits
- 1 ¾ cups White Lily Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1 ¼ cup heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 475°F. Add flour to a large bowl. Drizzle in cream, stirring gently with a fork, until the mixture begins to come together into a sticky dough.
- Turn dough onto a lightly-floured work surface and pat gently into a ¾-inch thick rectangle. Use a sharp knife or a bench scraper to cut dough into four large pieces.
- Place the biscuits on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Using a small (1 ½ to 2-inch) round cutter, punch a hole out of the center out of each one. Arrange the cut-out rounds on the baking sheet alongside the larger biscuits. Brush the top of each one with melted butter and bake until puffed but still pale, about 8 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and drape a slice of cheddar over each of the large biscuits, using a finger to nudge it down into the hole to form a deep cup. Crack an egg into each one. (Some egg white may spill over the edge of the biscuit; this is fine.) Season with salt and pepper. Return the baking sheet to oven and continue baking until the biscuits are golden and the egg whites are set, about 10 minutes more. Serve immediately.