- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 40 min
- 42 biscuits
- No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 (3/4 oz.) package active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water (105-115ºF.)
- 5 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- HEAT oven to 425ºF. Lightly spray a 15x10x1-inch pan with no-stick cooking spray. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set aside.
- STIR together flour, sugar, and baking soda in large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles small peas. Mix buttermilk with dissolved yeast mixture. Add to flour mixture. Stir with fork until soft dough forms. Turn out onto floured surface.
- KNEAD gently just until smooth. Roll out 1/2-inch thick. Cut with 2-inch cutter. Place close together in prepared pan. Cover. Let rise in warm place one hour or until doubled in bulk. (Press dough lightly with finger. A small indentation will remain when dough has doubled.)
- BAKE 15 to 20 minutes or until brown. Brush tops with melted butter. Serve hot.
- TO FREEZE, cool biscuits completely.
Store in plastic storage bags or wrapped in plastic wrap.
Keep in freezer up to one month.
(Refrigeration is not recommended.)
To reheat: Place thawed biscuits on baking sheet in 400º F. oven. Heat 5 to 10 minutes, or until warm.
- When working with yeast use a thermometer to be sure the water is between 105 and 115ºF. Water too hot will kill yeast and water too cold will not activate yeast.