Pepper Cheese Cornbread
- Prep Time:
- 5 min
- Cook Time:
- 30 min
- Total Time:
- 35 min
- 8 servings
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, plus 1 tbsp., divided
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1 1/3 cups milk or 1 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack pepper cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Coat an 8 or 10-inch heavy skillet with 1 tablespoon oil. Place in oven to preheat. Or spray an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan with Crisco® No-Stick Cooking Spray.
- BLEND cornmeal mix with milk, 1/4 cup oil and egg. Stir just until blended. Add remaining ingredients, stirring gently. Pour into prepared pan.
- BAKE 25 to 30 minutes for 8-inch skillet, 20 to 25 minutes for 10-inch skillet or 25 to 30 minutes for 8 x 8-inch pan.
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of recipe), Calories 300 (Calories from Fat 140), Total Fat 16g (Saturated Fat 4.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 730mg, Total Carbohydrate 33g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 2g), Protein 8g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 15%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
To use your stand mixer's dough hook, first mix dough ingredients using a flat paddle or regular beaters. Then knead with dough hook on medium speed for 3-5 minutes.
For a thinner, crisper pizza crust, use White Lily® All-Purpose Flour. For a thicker, chewier crust, use White Lily Bread Flour.