Karl Worley's Family Reserve Biscuits
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 20 min
- Total Time:
- 25 min
- 6 biscuits
- 2 cups White Lily® All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, very cold
- 2 tablespoons lard or bacon fat, very cold
- 1 cup full-fat buttermilk
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 1½ cups White Lily® All-Purpose Flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- Grate the cold butter and lard into the dry ingredients and toss to distribute.
- Pour buttermilk and cream into dry ingredients and mix until just barely combined. It should resemble cottage cheese.
- Use a 4-ounce scoop or spoon to place one dollop of dough into a bowl with the remaining flour.
- Place into the skillet very close together.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and set.
- Pour melted butter over biscuits as soon as they are out of the oven.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
To prevent flat cookies, ensure baking sheets are at room temperature before placing the dough.
Roll pastry dough outward from the center and from the center inward with a floured rolling pin. Rotate and repeat until it's 2 inches wider than your pie plate.