Hearty Beef Stew with Herbed Dumplings
- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- Cook Time:
- 30 min
- Total Time:
- 50 min
- 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 pound stew beef, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 3/4 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh minced thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- HEAT oil in Dutch oven or stockpot. Add beef; brown on all sides. Drain. Add beef broth, vegetables, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- BEAT egg and milk together in small bowl. Mix flour, parsley and thyme in large bowl. Add egg-milk mixture to flour mixture; stir to make a stiff dough.
- DROP dumpling batter by teaspoonfuls into simmering stew. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Dumplings are done when they float on top of liquid.
Serving Size (1/6 of recipe), Calories 360 (Calories from Fat 80), Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 2.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 80mg, Sodium 1570mg, Total Carbohydrate 43g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 4g), Protein 25g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 140%, Vitamin C 20%, Calcium 15%, Iron 20%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.