Fried Okra and Green Tomatoes
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 10 min
- Total Time:
- 20 min
- 6 servings
- 1/2 cup Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 pound fresh okra, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 medium green tomato or firm red tomato, chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped in to 1/2 inch cubes
- 3/4 cup White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste
- HEAT oil to 350°F in large heavy skillet.
- COMBINE okra, tomato and onion in medium bowl. Add cornmeal; toss to coat. Place vegetables gently in skillet.
- FRY 3 minutes until cornmeal begins to brown. Turn vegetables gently; fry an additional 3 minutes.
- REDUCE heat to medium-low; cook, turning occasionally, until okra is tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Serving Size (1/6 of recipe), Calories 200 (Calories from Fat 120), Total Fat 14g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 380mg, Total Carbohydrate 18g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 2g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 35%, Calcium 10%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.