Fresh Strawberry Shortcake
- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 15 min
- Total Time:
- 40 min
- 6 servings
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup half-and-half, plus 2 teaspoons to brush tops
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- HEAT oven to 450°F. Combine flour and 1/4 cup granulated sugar in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is the size of peas. Whisk 1/3 cup half-and-half with egg. Add to flour mixture, stirring with fork just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- TURN dough onto lightly floured surface. Form into a ball; knead gently 2 to 3 times.
- ROLL dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter, leaving as little dough as possible between cuts. Gather remaining dough and re-roll one time. Cut as described above. Discard scraps. Place 1/2-inch apart on baking sheet. Brush tops lightly with 2 teaspoons half-and-half.
- BAKE 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- STIR strawberries with remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Beat whipped cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Split shortcakes in half. Spoon berries between layers and onto top. Top with whipped cream.
Serving Size (1/6 of recipe), Calories 540 (Calories from Fat 290), Total Fat 33g (Saturated Fat 20g, Trans Fat 1g), Cholesterol 135mg, Sodium 310mg, Total Carbohydrate 57g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 23g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25%, Vitamin C 80%, Calcium 15%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.