Erika Council's Buttermilk Biscuits
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 15 min
- Total Time:
- 25 min
- 12 biscuits
- 2 ½ cups White Lily All Purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled and cut into ½-inch chunks
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into very thin slices
- 1 ¾ cup chilled buttermilk
- Adjust the oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add shortening into the flour mixture by breaking chucks with your fingertips until only pea sized pieces remain. Work the butter slices in the same way until butter in incorporated. Place the mixture into the freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Add buttermilk to chilled flour mixture. Stir with a fork until dough forms into a ball and no dry bits of flour are visible. (The dough will be shaggy and sticky)
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and dust dough lightly with more flour. With floured hands pat dough to about ¼ inch thick rectangle. Fold the dough into thirds, dusting lightly with flour as needed. Lift the short end of the folded dough and fold into thirds again, forming a rectangle.
- Repeat this process, folding and patting the dough into ½ inch thick. Cut the dough into rounds using a 2-inch biscuit cutter. Be sure to press the cutter down into the dough firmly and do not twist the biscuit cutter. Twisting it will seal off the biscuit edges, preventing the biscuits from rising. You should yield 10-12 rounds out of this batch.
- Place biscuit rounds 1 inch about on baking sheet. Brush the tops with melted butter (optional).
- Bake for 15 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Remove biscuits from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
For uniformly sized brownies, first trim off edges, then use a ruler and toothpicks as guides when cutting. For cleaner edges, freeze for 30 minutes before cutting.
When done baking, bread should be removed from its pan immediately, and cooled completely on a wire rack.