Cornbread Sausage Dressing
- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- Cook Time:
- 1 hr
- Total Time:
- 2 hr
- 16 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 4 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 pound ground sausage, sage flavor
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 (10 3/4 oz.) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons sage
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup hot water
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Spray a 13x9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray. Combine all cornbread ingredients; pour into prepared pan.
- BAKE 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool completely.
- HEAT oven to 400°F. Lightly spray a 13x9-inch baking pan and an 8x8-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE sausage, onion and celery in large skillet. Cook, stirring often, until sausage is browned and crumbled. Drain thoroughly.
- CRUMBLE cornbread in very large bowl. Add sausage mixture. Stir in cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, salt, sage, poultry seasoning, black pepper, egg and hot water. Spoon into baking pans.
- BAKE 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
Serving Size (1/16 of recipe), Calories 320 (Calories from Fat 130), Total Fat 14g (Saturated Fat 3.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 1270mg, Total Carbohydrate 38g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 3g), Protein 9g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 6%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
The secret to great Southern cornbread is a well-seasoned cast-iron pan with a smooth, nonstick finish.
For moist Southern cornbread with a golden-brown crust, use good cornmeal and create a creamy, pourable, pancake-like batter. Bake in preheated cast-iron cookware.