Classic Red Velvet Cake
- Prep Time:
- 40 min
- Cook Time:
- 30 min
- Total Time:
- 2 hr 30 min
- 16 servings
RED VELVET CAKE
- Baking Spray with Flour
- 2 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Dutch process or regular unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 (1 oz.) bottle red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 cup buttermilk
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon clear imitation vanilla extract or vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Coat 3 (8-inch) round cake pans with baking spray. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
- BEAT sugar, butter and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, combine oil, food coloring, extract and vinegar. Add to creamed mixture; beat until well blended. Gradually add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating until blended.
- SPREAD evenly in prepared pans. Bake 23 to 26 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
- BEAT cream cheese, butter and extract in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until blended. Gradually add powdered sugar until smooth. Beat on high speed 1 minute or until light and fluffy. Fill and frost cooled cake with frosting. Garnish sides of cake with pecans.
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/16 of cake), Calories 620 (Calories from Fat 370), Total Fat 42g (Saturated Fat 16g, Trans Fat 1g), Cholesterol 85mg, Sodium 330mg, Total Carbohydrate 59g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 43g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 6%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.