Chocolate Turtle Cake Pops
- Prep Time:
- 1 hr
- Cook Time:
- 40 min
- Total Time:
- 4 hr
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Coating and Drizzle
- 24 ounces chocolate flavored candy coating
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Dash salt
- Food-safe wooden craft sticks, wax paper and foam block
- HEAT oven to 350ºF. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray. Combine flour, 2 cups granulated sugar, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt in large bowl. Set aside. Combine 1 cup butter, water and 1/3 cup cocoa powder in medium saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- ADD cocoa mixture to dry ingredients. Beat with electric mixer at low speed until combined. Add eggs, buttermilk and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Beat 1 minute at low speed. (Batter will be thin.) Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- BEAT 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup cocoa powder in medium bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until creamy. Add powdered sugar, milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat at low until blended. Beat at medium until light and fluffy.
- CRUMBLE cake into large bowl. Add frosting. Mix thoroughly with hands. Roll into 2-inch balls. Insert sticks halfway into balls. Place onto wax paper-covered cookie sheet. Chill 2 to 3 hours in the refrigerator or in freezer for at least 1 hour. Melt chocolate coating according to package directions. Dip cake pops into chocolate coating so that coating covers entire cake pop and part of stick. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. Insert sticks into foam block.
- WHISK 2 cups granulated sugar in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until melted. Stir in 6 tablespoons butter until melted. (Butter will foam up.) Remove from heat. Whisk in cream constantly until smooth. (Cream will foam up.) Stir in dash salt. Reduce heat to lowest setting. Return pan to heat, stirring 2 to 3 minutes to thicken. Hold cake pop over saucepan. Use spoon to drizzle caramel over cake pop, allowing drips to fall back into pan. Insert drizzled cake pop into foam block to set.
Serving Size (1 pop of 50), Calories 230 (Calories from Fat 110), Total Fat 13g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 25mg, Sodium 115mg, Total Carbohydrate 30g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 24g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.