Chocolate Biscuits and Gravy
- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- Cook Time:
- 15 min
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 0 min
- 6 servings (2 biscuits each)
- No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups White Lily® All Purpose Wheat Flour & White Grape Seed Flour Blend
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, diced
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk or buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons White Lily® All Purpose Wheat Flour & White Grape Seed Flour Blend
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups fresh fruit, such as small whole berries, sliced bananas or sliced peaches, sweetened to taste
- Whipped cream
- HEAT oven to 450°F. Coat baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray. Stir flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt in large bowl until well blended. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- WHISK egg in small bowl. Whisk in milk. Stir into flour mixture with fork until dough forms. If mixture seems too dry, stir in additional milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough forms.
- TURN dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead 2 to 3 times until smooth. Pat into 8-inch square. Cut dough with 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter to make 9 biscuits. Re-roll scraps to make 3 additional biscuits. Place biscuits on prepared baking sheet. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until edges begin to darken. Cool on wire rack.
- For Chocolate Gravy: MELT butter in large skillet over medium heat. Whisk in sugar, cocoa and flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in 1 cup milk, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Whisk in remaining 1 cup milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low. Cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- PLACE 2 biscuits on each serving plate. Top with fruit and chocolate gravy. Garnish with whipped cream, if desired.
Serving Size (1/6 of recipe), Calories 680 (Calories from Fat 280), Total Fat 32g (Saturated Fat g, Trans Fat 1g), Cholesterol 110mg, Sodium 620mg, Total Carbohydrate 93g (Dietary Fiber 10g, Sugars 52g), Protein 12g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 35%, Iron 25%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
When making pizza crusts, use 2 to 2-1/2 cups of bread flour (hard wheat) or 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 cups of all-purpose flour (soft wheat).
For a thinner, crisper pizza crust, use White Lily® All-Purpose Flour. For a thicker, chewier crust, use White Lily Bread Flour.