Cheddar & Chive Drop Biscuits
- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 15 min
- Total Time:
- 30 min
- 16 biscuits
- 2 cups White Lily® All Purpose Wheat Flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, diced
- 1 cup finely shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh chives
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, plus 2 to 3 tablespoons more if needed
- HEAT oven to 450°F. Stir flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl until blended. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until crumbly. Stir in cheese and chives.
- STIR in buttermilk with fork until dough comes together. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons additional buttermilk if dough seems too dry.
- DROP dough by scant 1/4 cup onto baking sheet. Bake 10 to 13 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Serving Size (1 of 16 biscuits), Calories 140 (Calories from Fat 70), Total Fat 8g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat g), Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 300mg, Total Carbohydrate 13g (Dietary Fiber g, Sugars 1g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C %, Calcium 15%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
The secret to great Southern cornbread is a well-seasoned cast-iron pan with a smooth, nonstick finish.
To knead dough, shape it into a flattened ball. Push it away from you, then fold it toward you. Turn and repeat until it's smooth and elastic, about 5-10 minutes.