Callie's Classic Buttermilk Biscuits
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 15 min
- Total Time:
- 25 min
- 2 cups White Lily Self-Rising Flour, plus more for dusting work surface
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup cream cheese, room temperature, cut into cubes
- ¾ - 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, melted
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tablespoons white sugar
- HEAT oven to 450oF.
- COMBINE flour and room temperature butter in a large bowl. Use your fingers to break up the butter. The result should resemble grated Parmesan cheese.
- ADD cream cheese and mix it into the flour with your hands, leaving a few larger pieces. Add buttermilk and mix until dough is sticky and wet, but not sloppy. All flour should be incorporated.
- MOVE the dough to a lightly floured work surface, being sure to remove all dough from bowl. Dust the top of the dough with flour. Roll out dough to 2-inches thick.
- CUT dough into 2-inch circles. Arrange circles on a lightly greased cookie sheet with the edges touching. Brush with melted butter.
- BAKE 16-18 minutes rotating the pan half-way through. Biscuit tops should be golden brown. Move to a wire rack and allow to cool slightly. Serve immediately.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl with a spatula.
- Transfer to a ramekin, cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until ready to use.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Bake foam cakes in the lower third of the oven to prevent the top from over-browning. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in its center comes out clean.
When making pizza crusts, use 2 to 2-1/2 cups of bread flour (hard wheat) or 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 cups of all-purpose flour (soft wheat).