Cajun Corn Meal Breaded Chicken and Fish
- Prep Time:
- 20 min
- Cook Time:
- 10 min
- Total Time:
- 45 min
- 6 servings
- 1 cup White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
- 4 to 5 teaspoons Cajun seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast or catfish fillets
- 1 1/2 cups Pure Vegetable Oil
- MIX corn meal mix, 1/2 cup flour, seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon salt in pie plate. Place remaining 1 cup flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt in shallow bowl. Place buttermilk and hot sauce in separate shallow bowl.
- CUT chicken or fish lengthwise into 5 x 1-inch strips. Working in batches, coat with flour mixture, shaking off any excess. Dip into buttermilk to coat, then coat with corn meal mixture. Let stand 10 minutes.
- HEAT oil in 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add chicken or fish to hot oil in batches. Cook 3 minutes. Turn and cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes to until golden brown and internal temperature of chicken reaches 165°F or fish flakes easily with fork. Drain on paper towels.
Serving Size (1/6 of recipe), Calories 430 (Calories from Fat 160), Total Fat 19g (Saturated Fat g, Trans Fat g), Cholesterol 75mg, Sodium 1050mg, Total Carbohydrate 35g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 3g), Protein 30g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 8%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
To knead dough, shape it into a flattened ball. Push it away from you, then fold it toward you. Turn and repeat until it's smooth and elastic, about 5-10 minutes.
Unfrosted cakes keep 4-6 months in the freezer, and buttercream-frosted cakes keep 2-3 months. Do not freeze decorated cakes or cakes with cooked frosting.