Buttermilk Hush Puppies with Onions and Bell Peppers
- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 2 min
- Total Time:
- 30 min
- 24 servings
- 1 quart Crisco® Pure Peanut Oil
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1/2 cup White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red pepper
- HEAT oil in deep fryer or very deep heavy pot to 365°F.
- COMBINE cornmeal mix, flour and baking soda in medium bowl.
- WHISK together egg, buttermilk, onion and bell pepper in small bowl. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Be sure oil is at correct temperature before adding batter. If you do not have a thermometer, you can test using a cube of bread. The bread will brown within a few seconds, without absorbing very much oil.
- DROP batter by rounded tablespoonfuls carefully into hot oil. Fry 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
- Batter will rise to surface when done.
- REMOVE hush puppies with metal tongs or metal slotted spoon; turn onto paper towels to drain.
- ALLOW oil to return to temperature before repeating with additional batter.
Serving Size (1/24), Calories 170 (Calories from Fat 130), Total Fat 15g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 1g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 210mg, Total Carbohydrate 10g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 1g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 2%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
The warmth of the liquid used in bread recipes is very important. If too hot, the yeast can be destroyed and the dough will not rise.
For soft-sided biscuits, place unbaked biscuits in a 9-inch round or square baking pan or on a baking sheet with the side edges touching.