Brian Hart Hoffman's Buttermilk Biscuits
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 15 min
- Total Time:
- 25 min
- 12 biscuits
- 3 ½ cups (438 grams) White Lily All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons (24 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (9 grams) kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking soda
- 1 ¼ cups (284 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup (240 grams) whole buttermilk, chilled
- 1 large egg (50 grams), lightly beaten
- Flaked sea salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, kosher salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in cold buttermilk until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Pat dough into a rectangle and cut into fourths. Stack each fourth on top of each other, and pat down into a rectangle again. Repeat procedure 3 more times. Pat or roll dough to 1-inch thickness. Using a 2 ½ inch round cutter dipped in flour, cut dough without twisting cutter, re-rolling scraps as necessary. Place biscuits 2 inches apart on prepared pan. Freeze until cold, about 10 minutes. Brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake until golden brown for about 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Calories (Calories from Fat ), Total Fat g (Saturated Fat g, Trans Fat g), Cholesterol mg, Sodium mg, Total Carbohydrate g (Dietary Fiber g, Sugars g), Protein g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A %, Vitamin C %, Calcium %, Iron %.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
For softer cookies, reduce baking time by 1-2 minutes. For crisper cookies, increase baking time by 1-2 minutes.
Bread is done when the loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped. At that time, remove from the pan immediately and let cool.