Brian Hart Hoffman's Buttermilk Biscuits
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 15 min
- Total Time:
- 25 min
- 12 biscuits
- 3 ½ cups (438 grams) White Lily All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons (24 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (9 grams) kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) baking soda
- 1 ¼ cups (284 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup (240 grams) whole buttermilk, chilled
- 1 large egg (50 grams), lightly beaten
- Flaked sea salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, kosher salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in cold buttermilk until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Pat dough into a rectangle and cut into fourths. Stack each fourth on top of each other, and pat down into a rectangle again. Repeat procedure 3 more times. Pat or roll dough to 1-inch thickness. Using a 2 ½ inch round cutter dipped in flour, cut dough without twisting cutter, re-rolling scraps as necessary. Place biscuits 2 inches apart on prepared pan. Freeze until cold, about 10 minutes. Brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake until golden brown for about 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Calories (Calories from Fat ), Total Fat g (Saturated Fat g, Trans Fat g), Cholesterol mg, Sodium mg, Total Carbohydrate g (Dietary Fiber g, Sugars g), Protein g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A %, Vitamin C %, Calcium %, Iron %.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
For uniformly sized brownies, first trim off edges, then use a ruler and toothpicks as guides when cutting. For cleaner edges, freeze for 30 minutes before cutting.
Allow bread dough to rise during both proofing periods, until it doubles in size or until an indentation remains when you press it with your fingers.