Bacon Cheddar Drop Biscuits
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 10 min
- Total Time:
- 20 min
- 12 biscuits
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne), optional
- 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped cooked bacon
- 2/3 to 3/4 cups milk or buttermilk, plus additional as needed
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- HEAT oven to 500°F. Spray baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
- WHISK together flour and cayenne, if desired. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until crumbs are the size of small peas. Stir in cheese and bacon. Blend in just enough milk with fork until dough leaves sides of bowl. If needed, add more milk to form soft dough.
- DROP dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet 1 to 2 inches apart. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter.
Serving Size (1 of 12 biscuits), Calories 200 (Calories from Fat 110), Total Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 440mg, Total Carbohydrate 16g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 1g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 10%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Roll biscuit dough to about 1/2-inch thickness to ensure good height. Cut biscuits with a sharp-edged cutter, straight down, without twisting the cutter.
The warmth of the liquid used in bread recipes is very important. If too hot, the yeast can be destroyed and the dough will not rise.