Bacon Cheddar Drop Biscuits
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 10 min
- Total Time:
- 20 min
- 12 biscuits
- No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne), optional
- 1/4 cup All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped cooked bacon
- 2/3 to 3/4 cups milk or buttermilk, plus additional as needed
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- HEAT oven to 500°F. Spray baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
- WHISK together flour and cayenne, if desired. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until crumbs are the size of small peas. Stir in cheese and bacon. Blend in just enough milk with fork until dough leaves sides of bowl. If needed, add more milk to form soft dough.
- DROP dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet 1 to 2 inches apart. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter.
Serving Size (1 of 12 biscuits), Calories 200 (Calories from Fat 110), Total Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat g), Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 440mg, Total Carbohydrate 16g (Dietary Fiber g, Sugars 1g), Protein 7g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C %, Calcium 10%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
If batter does not fill every cup of the muffin pan, put a few tablespoons of water in the empty cup to keep muffins moist and to protect the pan from warping.
To use your stand mixer's dough hook, first mix dough ingredients using a flat paddle or regular beaters. Then knead with dough hook on medium speed for 3-5 minutes.