Cupcakes Make a Comeback
Knoxville, Tenn. (April 2008) Cupcakes are making a comeback! Pastry chefs and home cooks alike are renewing fond childhood memories of big swirls of frosting atop soft, moist cake with cupcake creations ranging from simple to elegant.
Cupcakes are the new trend for people of all ages, according to the recipe development professionals for White Lily®. Today, the popularity of this traditional favorite is expanding beyond the typical birthday celebration to take center stage as grooms cakes in weddings, Christmas treats at parties or a delectable dessert for two on Valentines Day.
The renewed popularity of cupcakes is due in part to their single serving size, ease of preparation and child-like appeal. Simply made from a handful of ingredients, cupcakes can easily be transformed into the centerpiece for any celebration or gathering just by varying the cake, frosting flavor and decorations.
Favorite Chocolate Cupcakes and Chocolate Frosting are two recipes featured below. The frosting is an elegant finish to the delicious cupcake and adds that extra special touch creating a perfect dessert for any springtime celebration.
Favorite Chocolate Cupcakes is an ideal recipe for the novice scratch baker because its one of those great recipes requiring no guess work. All the dry ingredients are combined in a mixing bowl and the remaining ingredients are simply beaten into the mixture. The addition of boiling water produces cupcakes that always turn out moist and tender every time. And to top it all off, nothing is easier or more delicious than this creamy Chocolate Frosting a basic buttercream with cocoa.
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All Purpose Flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- HEAT oven to 350º F. Line 24 muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
- WHISK together flour, sugar, cocoa, soda and salt in large bowl. Add butter, oil, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Beat two minutes with electric mixer at medium speed. Stir in water until blended. Batter will be thin.
- DIVIDE batter among muffin cups. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
- BEAT butter and cocoa in large bowl with electric mixer at medium high speed until creamy. Add sugar, 3 tablespoons milk and vanilla. Beat on low speed until blended. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add more milk if frosting is too thick.
Makes 24 cupcakes©/® The J. M. Smucker Company
- 2 (1 oz.) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 to 6 tablespoons milk
- PLACE chocolate in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- COMBINE powdered sugar, salt, melted chocolate, shortening and vanilla in mixing bowl. Slowly blend in milk to desired consistency. Beat on high 3 to 5 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
- MOCHA FROSTING: FOLLOW the recipe above, substituting 1 teaspoon instant coffee crystals dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water for 1 tablespoon of milk.
Makes 2 cups©/® The J. M. Smucker Company
Crisco is a trademark of The J.M. Smucker Company