White Lily® Southern Cornbread
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 25 min
- Total Time:
- 40 min
- 8 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups milk or buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 cup melted Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Coat 8- or 10-inch ovenproof skillet or 8x8-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray. Place in oven to heat.
- BLEND together cornmeal mix, milk, oil, egg and sugar just until moistened (batter will be lumpy). Carefully remove skillet from oven. Pour batter into heated skillet.
- BAKE 25 to 30 minutes for 8-inch skillet, 20 to 25 minutes for 10-inch skillet or 25 to 30 minutes for 8x8-inch pan.
- REMOVE from oven, cut into wedges or squares and serve immediately.
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of recipe), Calories 210 (Calories from Fat 80), Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 30mg, Sodium 440mg, Total Carbohydrate 29g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 2g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 15%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
In order to maintain a consistent temperature, do not open the oven door during baking. Instead, use the oven light to check on your baking progress.
To measure flour, stir it, spoon it gently into a dry measuring cup, and level it with a straight edge. Do not pack it or shake it down.