White Lily® Light and Fluffy Biscuits
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 12 min
- Total Time:
- 25 min
- 12 biscuits
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
OR 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Unbleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- HEAT oven to 475°F.
- PLACE flour in large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until crumbs are the size of peas. Add buttermilk, stirring with fork just until flour is moistened.
- TURN dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently 5 to 6 times, just until a smooth dough is formed. Roll dough into a 7-inch circle that is 3/4- to 1-inch thick. Cut out 7 to 8 biscuits using a floured 2-inch biscuit cutter. Place on baking sheet, about 1-inch apart. (For softer biscuits, arrange so that edges almost touch.) Shape dough scraps into a ball. Pat out until 3/4-inch thick. Cut out additional biscuits.
- BAKE 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven. Brush with butter, if desired.
- GARLIC CHEESE DROP BISCUITS: Stir in 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese before adding milk. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet. Bake as directed above. Combine 1/4 cup melted butter and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. Brush on warm biscuits.
Serving Size (1 biscuit of 12), Calories 110 (Calories from Fat 40), Total Fat 4.5g (Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 240mg, Total Carbohydrate 15g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 1g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 6%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Self-rising flour is ideal for biscuit recipes because it ensures the correct amount of leavener is used, and that it's evenly distributed.
When making biscuits, make a well in the center of the flour mixture and use a fork to gently blend in the milk or buttermilk, being careful not to over-mix.