Taco Cornbread Olé
- Prep Time:
- 30 min
- Cook Time:
- 25 min
- Total Time:
- 1 hr
- 4 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (1 1/4 oz.) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup peeled, sliced, chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Lightly spray an 8-inch square pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE cornmeal mix and sugar. Make a well in center of cornmeal mixture.
- COMBINE eggs, milk and oil. Add all at once to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. (Batter should be lumpy.) Pour into prepared pan.
- BAKE 20 to 25 minutes.
- BROWN ground beef and onions in large skillet; drain well. Combine beef mixture, tomato sauce and taco seasoning mix. Cook 5 minutes. Stir in 1 cup chopped tomato and olives; cook until heated.
- CUT cornbread into 4 squares. Split each square in half horizontally. Spoon meat mixture evenly over bottom half of cornbread square. Top with remaining half of cornbread square.
- COMBINE sour cream, green onions and 1/4 cup chopped tomato. Spoon on top of each square; sprinkle with cheese.
Serving Size (1/4 of recipe), Calories 850 (Calories from Fat 360), Total Fat 41g (Saturated Fat 12g, Trans Fat 1g), Cholesterol 160mg, Sodium 2440mg, Total Carbohydrate 83g (Dietary Fiber 8g, Sugars 12g), Protein 36g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 30%, Vitamin C 25%, Calcium 25%, Iron 40%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
For moist Southern cornbread with a golden-brown crust, use good cornmeal and create a creamy, pourable, pancake-like batter. Bake in preheated cast-iron cookware.
For a crisp crust on basic cornbread or corn sticks, preheat a greased skillet or corn stick pan before filling with batter.