Sweet Potato Cornbread
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 40 min
- Total Time:
- 50 min
- 8 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 cup baked, peeled and mashed sweet potato, or 1 cup mashed canned sweet potato
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- HEAT oven to 375ºF. Coat generously 10 1/2-inch cast iron skillet with no-stick cooking spray. Place in oven to heat about 10 minutes.
- BLEND together sweet potatoes, eggs, brown sugar, buttermilk and oil in large bowl until smooth. Stir in cornmeal mix and pumpkin pie spice until well blended. Pour into hot skillet.
- BAKE 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of recipe), Calories 290 (Calories from Fat 90), Total Fat 11g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 670mg, Total Carbohydrate 43g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 9g), Protein 6g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 100%, Vitamin C 10%, Calcium 8%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
When making pizza crusts, use 2 to 2-1/2 cups of bread flour (hard wheat) or 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 cups of all-purpose flour (soft wheat).
When making bread, dissolve yeast in 100°F-110°F liquid. When mixing yeast with flour, use 120°F-130°F liquids. Use a thermometer to check temperature.