Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Prep Time:
- 10 min
- Cook Time:
- 12 min
- Total Time:
- 25 min
- 5 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 cup White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup mashed sweet potatoes
ORANGE HONEY BUTTER
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- HEAT oven to 450°F. Coat baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE flour, cinnamon, brown sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is the size of peas. Add sweet potatoes, stirring just until flour is moistened and dough holds together.
- TURN dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently 2 to 3 times. Pat or lightly roll to about 1/2-inch thickness. Cut biscuits using a floured 2-1/2 inch cutter, leaving as little dough between cuts as possible. Gather remaining dough and re-roll one time. Cut as described above. Discard scraps.
- PLACE biscuits on baking sheet with sides touching for soft southern style biscuits or close together but not touching, for biscuits with crisp sides.
- BAKE 10 to 12 minutes or until tops are browned. Combine butter, honey and orange peel until smooth. Serve with warm biscuits.
Serving Size (1 biscuit of 5), Calories 320 (Calories from Fat 170), Total Fat 19g (Saturated Fat 12g, Trans Fat 0.5g), Cholesterol 50mg, Sodium 490mg, Total Carbohydrate 36g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 12g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 80%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 10%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Roll biscuit dough to about 1/2-inch thickness to ensure good height. Cut biscuits with a sharp-edged cutter, straight down, without twisting the cutter.
When making biscuits, pack vegetable shortening into a measuring cup so there are no air pockets. Cut it into the flour with a pastry blender, 2 knives, or a fork.