Southwestern Turkey Pie with Cheddar Crust
- Prep Time:
- 25 min
- Cook Time:
- 45 min
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 10 min
- 8 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 tablespoon White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1 1/4 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, coarsely chopped (red, green or combination)
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (16 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (8 oz.) can chunky salsa
- 1 cup finely shredded Cheddar cheese
- HEAT oven to 375°F. Spray a 9-inch deep dish pie plate with no-stick cooking spray. Add cornmeal mix to coat bottom of pie plate; set aside.
- COMBINE flour, 1 cup cheese, salt and 1/3 cup butter in medium bowl until crumbly; press into bottom and up sides of pie plate. Set aside.
- MELT 2 tablespoons butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and pepper; cook and stir until onion is translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
- ADD turkey, cumin, oregano and salt. Cook and stir 2 minutes over medium heat to combine flavors.
- POUR turkey mixture into prepared crust. Layer sour cream, black beans, corn and salsa over turkey mixture.
- BAKE on lowest oven rack 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Top with 1 cup cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Makes 8 servings.
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of pie), Calories 450 (Calories from Fat 230), Total Fat 26g (Saturated Fat 16g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 95mg, Sodium 680mg, Total Carbohydrate 33g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 3g), Protein 23g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25%, Vitamin C 35%, Calcium 25%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
The secret to great Southern cornbread is a well-seasoned cast-iron pan with a smooth, nonstick finish.
For a crisp crust on basic cornbread or corn sticks, preheat a greased skillet or corn stick pan before filling with batter.