Skillet Chili with Cornbread Topping
- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 30 min
- Total Time:
- 45 min
- 4 to 6 servings
- 4 cups of your favorite chili
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- HEAT oven to 425°F.
- HEAT chili in 10-inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- WHISK egg in medium bowl. Stir in cornmeal mix, oil and milk. Stir in cheese. Spoon over chili mixture in skillet.
- BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cornbread topping comes out clean.
Serving Size (1/4 of recipe), Calories 690 (Calories from Fat 280), Total Fat 31g (Saturated Fat 9g, Trans Fat 0.5g), Cholesterol 140mg, Sodium 1750mg, Total Carbohydrate 63g (Dietary Fiber 11g, Sugars 13g), Protein 37g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25%, Vitamin C 25%, Calcium 25%, Iron 35%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
The secret to great Southern cornbread is a well-seasoned cast-iron pan with a smooth, nonstick finish.
For a crisp crust on basic cornbread or corn sticks, preheat a greased skillet or corn stick pan before filling with batter.