Sally Lunn Bread
- Prep Time:
- 30 min
- Cook Time:
- 30 min
- Total Time:
- 2 hr 30 min
- 24 slices
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105° to 115°F)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
OR 2 tablespoons Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 3/4 cups White Lily® Enriched Unbleached Bread Flour
- 1 cup warm milk (105 to 115°F)
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- STIR together yeast and warm water until dissolved.
- BEAT sugar and shortening in large bowl with electric mixer until blended. Beat in eggs and salt. Stir in 1 1/2 cups flour; beat 3 minutes on high speed. Stir in milk and softened yeast, mixing well. Add remaining flour; beat 1 minute on high speed. Cover bowl. Let dough rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- COAT a 10-inch fluted tube pan with no-stick cooking spray. Stir down batter and spoon evenly into prepared pan. Cover and let rise again until double in size, 30 to 45 minutes.
- HEAT oven to 325°F. Bake 10 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 375°F. Bake an additional 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan to cooling rack. Serve warm or cool.
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of loaf), Calories 100 (Calories from Fat 15), Total Fat 1.5g (Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 20mg, Sodium 110mg, Total Carbohydrate 19g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 5g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
The warmth of the liquid used in bread recipes is very important. If too hot, the yeast can be destroyed and the dough will not rise.
Roll biscuit dough to about 1/2-inch thickness to ensure good height. Cut biscuits with a sharp-edged cutter, straight down, without twisting the cutter.