Sage & Cheddar Corn Meal Biscuits
- Prep Time:
- 15 min
- Cook Time:
- 15 min
- Total Time:
- 40 min
- 16 biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour
OR 1 1/2 cups Martha White® All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
OR 1/2 cup Martha White® Self-Rising Enriched White Corn Meal Mix
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage or 3/4 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening, well chilled
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup shredded extra sharp white or mild cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Combine flour, corn meal mix, sugar, sage, baking powder and salt in large bowl; mix well. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk and cheese just until evenly moistened.
- TURN out dough onto lightly floured work surface. Knead 5 times to bring dough together. Roll out to a 3/4-inch thickness. Cut with floured 2-inch biscuit cutter. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
- BAKE 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet to wire rack to cool. Brush tops with butter. Serve warm.
Serving Size (1 of 16 biscuits), Calories 150 (Calories from Fat 80), Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 3g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 260mg, Total Carbohydrate 14g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 1g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 8%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
When done baking, bread should be removed from its pan immediately, and cooled completely on a wire rack.
When making muffins, mix wet and dry ingredients just until moistened. The batter will still be lumpy. Over-mixing will result in tough, heavy muffins.