The White Lily Cake
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 1 hr
- 16 servings
- Pillsbury™ Baking Spray with Flour
- 2 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 3/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond, lemon, orange or vanilla extract
oven to 350°F.
three 8-inch or two 9-inch round pans or one 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan with flour no-stick cooking spray. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper cut to fit. Coat paper with flour no-stick cooking spray.
flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in large bowl. Add buttermilk and shortening; beat two minutes. Add egg whites, vanilla and choice of extract. Beat an additional 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Spread batter evenly into prepared pans. Tap pans on counter several times to remove air bubbles.
22 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
on wire rack 10 minutes before removing from pan. Remove cake and finish cooling on wire rack. (The 13 x 9-inch cake may be cooled and frosted in pan if desired.)
- For best results, use room temperature ingredients and measure correctly. For flour, spoon into measuring cup and level using a spatula. There is no need to sift.
- *Substitute 1 cup milk plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice for buttermilk.