The White Lily® Cake
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 1 hr
- 16 servings
- Pillsbury™ Baking Spray with Flour
- 2 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 3/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond, lemon, orange or vanilla extract
- HEAT oven to 350°F.
- COAT three 8-inch or two 9-inch round pans or one 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan with flour no-stick cooking spray. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper cut to fit. Coat paper with flour no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in large bowl. Add buttermilk and shortening; beat two minutes. Add egg whites, vanilla and choice of extract. Beat an additional 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Spread batter evenly into prepared pans. Tap pans on counter several times to remove air bubbles.
- BAKE 22 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- COOL on wire rack 10 minutes before removing from pan. Remove cake and finish cooling on wire rack. (The 13 x 9-inch cake may be cooled and frosted in pan if desired.)
- FROST as desired.
- For best results, use room temperature ingredients and measure correctly. For flour, spoon into measuring cup and level using a spatula. There is no need to sift.
- *Substitute 1 cup milk plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice for buttermilk.