Southern Breaded Fried Chicken
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 50 min
- 4 to 5 servings
- 2/3 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg white
- 1 (3 lb.) broiler-fryer chicken, cut into pieces with skin removed
heavy iron skillet or other heavy skillet. Add oil; heat to 350°F.
flour, pepper, sage, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and paprika in bowl or resealable plastic bag. In a separate bowl, whisk together milk and egg. Coat chicken with flour. Dip in milk mixture. Coat chicken again with flour, pressing lightly with hands until well coated.
chicken in skillet, white meat first with bone side up, being careful not to fill skillet too full. Fry 20 to 30 minutes, turning once, or until the coating is browned and juices run clear. Drain on paper towels.