Skillet Chili with Cornbread Topping
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 45 min
- 4 to 6 servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (1.25 oz.) envelope chili seasoning mix
- 1 (15 or 16 oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 oz.) can petite-cut diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 cup White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- HEAT oven to 425°F.
- BROWN ground beef in 10-inch ovenproof skillet; drain. Stir in seasoning mix, beans and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 5 minutes.
- WHISK egg in medium bowl. Stir in cornmeal mix, oil and milk. Stir in cheese. Spoon over over chili mixture in skillet.
- BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.