Sage & Cheddar Corn Meal Biscuits
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 40 min
- 16 biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour
OR 1 1/2 cups Martha White® All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
OR 1/2 cup Martha White® Self-Rising Enriched White Corn Meal Mix
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage or 3/4 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening, well chilled
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup shredded extra sharp white or mild cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Combine flour, corn meal mix, sugar, sage, baking powder and salt in large bowl; mix well. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk and cheese just until evenly moistened.
- TURN out dough onto lightly floured work surface. Knead 5 times to bring dough together. Roll out to a 3/4-inch thickness. Cut with floured 2-inch biscuit cutter. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
- BAKE 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet to wire rack to cool. Brush tops with butter. Serve warm.