Rich Individual Strawberry Shortcakes
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 35 min
- 6 to 8 shortcakes
- 2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 to 3 cups sliced strawberries, sweetened with 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- HEAT oven to 425°F.
- COMBINE flour and sugar in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- WHISK together half-and-half and egg until blended. Stir into flour mixture to make a stiff dough.
- TURN onto lightly floured board; knead gently 8 to 10 strokes. Roll or pat dough to 1/2- to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut with 2 1/2 to 3-inch cutter. Place shortcakes 2 to 3 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops lightly with additional half-and-half.
- BAKE 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- PLACE shortcakes on individual serving plates. Split shortcakes in half; spoon strawberries between layers. Replace top layer; spoon on additional strawberries. Top with whipped cream. Garnish with fresh whole strawberries, if desired.