Molasses Wheat Bread
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 3 hr
- 24 slices
- 3 large shredded wheat biscuits
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/4 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (105 to 115°F)
- 5 to 6 cups White Lily® Enriched Unbleached Bread Flour
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
wheat biscuits in large bowl. Pour boiling water over biscuits. Add sugar, salt, molasses and shortening; mix well. Cool to lukewarm. Dissolve yeast in warm water; mix into wheat mixture. Stir in flour gradually until stiff dough forms.
onto lightly floured surface. Knead 10 minutes, adding flour as needed to keep from sticking. Coat large bowl with no-stick cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to coat surface. Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size, about one hour.
two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pans with no-stick cooking spray. Punch down dough; divide in half. Shape into loaves; place in prepared pans. Let rise in warm place until tops of loaves are even with sides of pans, about 30 minutes.
oven to 375°F. Bake 45 to 50 minutes. Cover with foil during last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Brush tops with melted butter.