Molasses Wheat Bread
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- 3 hr
- 24 slices
- 3 large shredded wheat biscuits
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
OR 1/4 cup Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (105 to 115°F)
- 5 to 6 cups White Lily® Enriched Unbleached Bread Flour
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- CRUMBLE wheat biscuits in large bowl. Pour boiling water over biscuits. Add sugar, salt, molasses and shortening; mix well. Cool to lukewarm. Dissolve yeast in warm water; mix into wheat mixture. Stir in flour gradually until stiff dough forms.
- TURN onto lightly floured surface. Knead 10 minutes, adding flour as needed to keep from sticking. Coat large bowl with no-stick cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to coat surface. Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size, about one hour.
- COAT two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pans with no-stick cooking spray. Punch down dough; divide in half. Shape into loaves; place in prepared pans. Let rise in warm place until tops of loaves are even with sides of pans, about 30 minutes.
- HEAT oven to 375°F. Bake 45 to 50 minutes. Cover with foil during last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Brush tops with melted butter.